Field Trip forms were sent home last week for our Spring Field Trip to Seussical at the Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts in Annapolis. Please complete the permission slip and send in $25 ASAP! (This was due on FRIDAY, MARCH 24!) Please e-mail Ms. Riley if you are experiencing financial difficulty and cannot submit payment.
This week in Kindergarten…
English Language Arts
We will read the story “Abuela.” It is a story about a granddaughter taking an adventure through the city with her grandmother. It also includes some Spanish words, so be on the look out for las parablas de espanol con tu estudiantes! We will be working on story elements, focusing on character. We will also be reading with words having the medial /e/.
We are learning about measurement! Students are learning about length, weight, and capacity. They will be identifying what materials can be used to measure and which attributes an object can be measured by. (For example, a pencil cannot be measured by capacity!) All our measurement activities are non-standard forms of measurement and comparing, so don’t worry about a ruler! 🙂 After measurement we will be transitioning to “Step Up to First Grade” – a three week overview of basic first grade skills and Kindergarten review. At the close of this unit, we will be conducting diagnostic tests to identify any areas of weakness before moving into a bit of time and money!
Over the next few weeks, students will be learning about various life cycles. This week, we will be learning about the Frog Life Cycle.
After this week, we will be beginning the plant life cycle and transitioning into our Spring Break project. For this project, we will be needing grass seeds, potting mix/soil, and clear 5oz plastic cups (the short and wide ones). If you are able to donate any of these items, please contact your scholar’s teacher! (Much thanks in advance!)
High Frequency Words
Here are our sight words we have learned so far. Remember to practice reading and writing these words regularly! (When reading at home, if you see these words, have your child point it out!) All of the words we will learn this year are available on our grade level website under “Sight Words.”
I, am, little, to, a, have, is, the, we, my, like, he, for, me, with, she, see, look, they, you, of, are, that, do, one, two, three, four, five, here, go, from
– Homework is due on FRIDAY each week. Remember to look for their new homework packet on Fridays. Homework that is not submitted by the due date will be given a ZERO.
– Please read regularly! Remember that just 20 minutes a day can boost your child’s reading levels! Reading logs are due at the end of the month and will be given a zero if blank or missing from your child’s folder.
– With the weather fluctuating, remember that we still go outside for recess when the weather is above 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Please ensure that your child is dressed appropriately!
– If you would like to chaperone any future field trips, you must have a fingerprint background check. This can be obtained from the Fingerprint office at the county building 14201 School Lane, Upper Marlboro, MD Monday-Friday from 8:00am-3:45pm. For more information or to contact the fingerprinting office, please look at the fingerprint office website: http://www1.pgcps.org/fingerprinting/
– Please remember to send an extra pair of uniform clothes to keep in your child’s cubbie at school in the event of accidents or spills.
– Uniform is enforced daily, including uninterrupted black shoes. Please go to http://cmitelementary.org/uniform-policy/ for more information.